Welcome to UP-SIGN home page!
UK-Pakistan Science Innovation Global Network (UP SIGN) will raise awareness and develop solutions to address the economic and social challenges Pakistan. We will seek to improve “Communication, Coordination and Cooperation” between the Pakistan and UK institutions on all levels from universities, public and private organisations, the business sector and Non-Government Organisations (NGOs). We will align our efforts to the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDG) that are very pertinent to Pakistan (e.g. energy, food security, climate change, gender equality, poverty policy, healthcare, etc.). We are an inclusive organisation and welcome membership from people of any background or religion or gender, who support UP SIGN’s core mission.
- There are 9.8 million malnourished children in Pakistan and the country is ranked third in the world with the greatest number of children with stunted growth.
- 45 percent of the children in the country are stunted and 39 percent do not have access to decent sanitation
- More than 40 percent of the people lack access to clean drinking water
- The proportion of people identified as multi-dimensionally poor in urban areas is significantly lower than in rural areas – 9.4% and 54.6%, respectively.
- the greatest contribution to poverty stems from educational deprivation