THE CLEAN MATERIALS TECHNOLOGY GROUP
UCL CHEMISTRY DEPARTMENT

Technology Transfer
Jawwad A. Darr  

The Clean Materials Technology group is working on developing clean and continuous technologies for nanoceramic production towards nano-enabled products (fuel cell materials, photocatalysts, biomedical nanoparticles, CO2 catalysts, etc.). 
Knowledge Transfer has been an important part of our group and we have closely interacted with companies, several technology transfer network organisations and with technology transfer officers. 

I have also run a number of workshops in Pakistan since 2009 as a visiting professor at COMSATS, Lahore to show young academics how to better network, and how to talk and engage better with industry.  The next few years of this interaction will be directed to setting up of a social enterprise to deliver a safe and high quality “zero-cost” biomedical materials bone replacement product to the market place for orthopaedic surgeons to use in government hospitals in Pakistan.

I was a LTN fellow between 2001- 2007 and underwent a large amount of business training for academics which completely changed my approach to research and industry interactions. Current funded research has been at the chemistry-materials-chemical engineering interface, developing novel process engineering and synthetic strategies for high value manufactured nano-enabled products with several partners.

Since arriving at UCL, I have developed strong intradepartmental and inter–departmental academic and industrially facing collaborations. Most of my funding has been prestigious EPSRC funding and more recently I have begun to apply and win TSB funding.  I am also involved in helping others to network better and establish industry facing activities.  In the forthcoming years I am seeking to spinout the research on pilot plant scale nanoceramics production facility with the help of UCLB and potential investors.

As KT Champion in the MAPS faculty, I have previously focussed on:

1. Opportunities for raising awareness and opportunities for targeted industrial engagement in MAPS’s departments.
  2. Assisted in updating the MAPS strategy for Enterprise.
  3. Worked with academics to better publicise their expertise externally and maximize emerging commercial opportunities
  4. Delivered awareness raising industry events (see below)
  5. Liaised with UCL advances re training to ensure that events compliment their programme
  6. Supported MAPS Enterprise Forum
  7. Represented BEAMS within the student enterprise working group
  8. Undertaken my own programme of KT activity associated with nanotech
  9. Investigating routes to commercialisation of nanomaterials
  10. Attending KTN events both nationally and internationally for promoting KT activities at UCL and my own activities